Thursday, September 13, 2007

Matzoh Ball Soup

matzohBallSoup_003
I just love this crazy old stock pot that came with my apartment.

It's still very warm here. This is my first fall in Canada and I can't believe that halfway through September, it still feels like summer during the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the sunshine, but I really, really look forward to fall and winter. There is just something so soothing about spending a weekend inside where it's warm and cozy with a pot of soup simmering on the stove or something wonderful baking in the oven. All the while, the kitties are being all snuggly and your Earl Grey just feels like a hug. Yeah... I'm jonesing for fall in a big way.

I bought a pumpkin at the market the other day! A small, organic pie pumpkin. I was looking forward to it all week last week. I even called the store on Friday morning to make sure that they'd be open late enough that I could go after work that day. I just didn't want to wait to bring that cute little pumpkin home. While I'm deciding what to cook with it (so many options!), it's sitting in a little window nook thingie between my kitchen and living room. (Don't worry, pumpkin pictures are in your future!)

I spent the entire of last weekend cooking. Saturday was the day of the matzoh ball soup. Yum! I wasn't sick, but a friend of mine was, so I decided that she needed a shot of vitamin Awesome. Whenever I don't feel good, I start craving this soup. I don't know what it is about the little matzoh balls that make me feel better, but somehow it does. Since Sara Ramirez refuses to show up at my house to cuddle me better, I guess I have to make do with soup for the time being.

I made the veggie broth from scratch, loosely based on the Golden Vegetable Broth recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. You can really add whatever veggies you want to make the broth. Add a bunch of different herbs if you want a specific flavor. I had some sage leaves leftover from something I made last week as well as a little bit of thyme and some random mushroom and celery bits that I also added. Just be sure not to add too many carrots (like I did last time) or you'll get a very sweet tasting broth. Unless, of course, you like that sort of thing. Another idea is to add some garlic, especially if you're making this because you're sick. I think you can never have too much garlic, but maybe that's why I have such a hard time getting a date...

Golden Vegetable Broth

2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large onion, skin included, roughly chopped
3 whole clove garlic, crushed
2 leaks, cleaned well androughly chopped
handul (a loosely packed cup) fresh parsley
handful (a loosely packed cup) fresh dill
1 Tablespoon olive oil
9 cups water
1 teaspoon salt

In a large stockpot, heat the oil. Saute onions for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for an hour and a half, uncovered. (Sometimes I'll let mine simmer for up to 3 hours)

Let broth cool till it's an ok temperature to handle. Strain into a large bowl with cheese cloth or a very fine mesh strainer. Press the vegetables with a gentle but firm pressure to get all the moisture out.

This will keep in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

(Originally posted at theppk.com and printed in Vegan with a Vengeance.)

matzohBallSoup_002
Look how cute my little matzohs are. Awwwww.

I also used Isa's Matzoh Ball Soup recipe from VWAV. The only thing I do differently is add a ton of extra veggies and herbs to the soup. This time I used carrots, celery, parsley, dill, shitake mushrooms and garlic. Sometimes I add peas or greens or whatever looks like it would be yummy dancing around in the soup with the matzoh balls.

matzohBallSoup_001

2 comments:

  1. I've never attempted vegan matzoh balls! How cool. And may I say, that stock pot is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to make the vegan matzoh balls twice (following VWAV recipe exactly) and both times I ended up with a pot of mush. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. :(

    ReplyDelete