Thursday, November 15, 2007

What do you do with...

The markets near my apartment always have the coolest produce. There are always a ton of things that I've never tried, which is quite exciting. I've decided to start a new trend of trying at least one new veggie/fruit each month. Sometimes I might do it every two weeks just because I'm crazy like that.

The problem is that I don't know what to do with things sometimes. Sooo... I've pirated some pictures from the internets and I'd like to hear from anyone who might have any ideas of how to cook these things that are at the market right now!

If you have a link for a recipe, that would rule, too.


Fennel


Persimmons


Quince


Cactus Pears

There are some other things right now also, but I forget. I'll have to make a list the next time I'm at the market.

5 comments:

  1. I've been trying to do this too. If they're the crunchy squat variety of persimmons, I like to chop them up and put them in a salad with some good greens, and walnuts and a simple vinaigrette. Or else just eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made roasted fennel with spiced chickpeas today, the instructions are on my blog if you want! it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to point out Celine's fennel from yesterday, too! Vegelicious also had a wonderful sounding fennel soup. It's my favorite veggie, so I have a few recipes on my blog too. Or just eat it raw as an aperitif or digestive- with a tiny bit of olive oil and some sea salt!

    Ok, your persimmons need to ripen before you eat them- otherwise, they'll be starchy. You can make puddings and stuff with it, but honestly, it's so nice to just eat them plain.

    Emilie at Conscious Kitchen and Urban Vegan both did quince posts recently - you can cook and roast it and make it into jams. Whatever you do, I tell everyone to save the seeds. They have a coating that makes them a natural cough drop/throat soother- just dry them out and save them for when you have a scratchy throat, then pop a few into your mouth and suck on them.

    Cactus pear? I think fatfree vegan did a recipe with them? I don't know, but I look forward to seeing what you make with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I got some great ideas for fennel over on the ppk forums, too. I'm definitely going to try making something with some of these things this weekend. :D I'm so excited, I've been wanting to try fennel for so long, but just never really knew what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think V-con has some fennel recipes. I saw a lot of persimmons at the market last week, but didn't know what to use them for either!

    ReplyDelete