Friday, May 16, 2008

Tiramisu Cupcakes

I have been wanting to make the Tiramisu Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for weeks now. First I kept forgetting to buy Kahlua and then I would get busy and think I'd do it later. For some reason I was thinking these were going to be really complicated and take a long time to make. But no! They're just as fast as regular cupcakes, you probably take less than 5 minutes to cut out the centers and add the coffee/Kahlua mixture to the cake parts. So really, you have no more excuses for not making these. They're quite yummy.

tiramisuCupcakes_001

I did think that the cream cheese frosting was way too sweet for me. When I make these again, I think I'll only add about half the powdered sugar. I might experiment with adding more of the faux cream cheese to see if I can get more of a less sweet, but still creamy sort of thing like real tiramisu has. I realize these are cupcakes and cupcakes have frosting, but I'm just weird like that.

I'm one of those that scrapes the frosting off of cupcakes so there's only a very thin layer left on top. Unless it's the cooked frosting recipe that's in VCTOTW with the red velvet cupcakes. That one is my favorite. It's so creamy and light and not too sweet. Perfect, but it doesn't really go with every flavor of cupcake.

Coming soon - a recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes. :D

14 comments:

  1. ok, ok, I'll confess that I used to be one of those people who saw the recipe for these and ran off screaming like a banshee thinking they'd be a lot of work. I'll heed your advice and forget about my fears.
    I'm like you and totally don't dig on a big amount of frosting either. too bad we can't get together with frosting lovers and have them look after it for us, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And I'd love to make vegan red velvet cupcakes. Thanks for the review of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm mmm. read this post and had to go make them. you're right. they were easy and sooo delicious. i did however change the frosting...as i too scrap most the frosting of mine. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find recipes for cream cheese frosting too sweet as well. I tend to add sugar by eye until it's just sweet enough. But then I like to slather it on thick like an icing sandwich, so that's where the similarities end!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of huge amounts of frosting either, but the cream cheese and the chocolate mousse toppings, I can eat by the bucket full! I guess my issue is just with buttercream, which is too greasy for me. Anyway, I tried making the cream cheese frosting with less sugar, and got a glaze. It was still really tasty, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those cupcakes! Even though I too prefer cooked buttercream to regular, I will still gladly eat your extra frosting by the spoonfull!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Those look sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that cupcake looks amazing!

    I'm glad you finally got to make them - I have so many recipes that are piling up around my kitchen...

    Anyway, I'm the same way with frosting. In fact, part of the reason that I pretty much hate cake is that it's sooo sugary because of the frosting. Ick!

    I do think cupcakes are better though - they seem to lend themselves to a little less frosting.

    Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Y.U.M. that cupcake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait for that strawberry shortcake cupcake recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Tiramisu Cupcake looks delicious! I'm drooling... I am such a sucker for baked sweets, admittedly the one thing that sometimes has me stray (not at home, though, just out where commercial vegan baked sweets are hard to find) from purely vegan food. Yet I rarely have the courage to make them at home.

    Anyway, before beating myself up too much, I just wanted to say, wow! delicious! Mmmm, cupkakes...

    ReplyDelete